cant see tichome /google device

Here you are welcome to report any Cast bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
blairk

cant see tichome /google device

Post by blairk »

HI , damm cool program first up ! have only just found it and love it

i installed cast other night and works fine I could see the -inventory showing both PC and assistant
but today I can't see my google I can only see the PC speakers , have turned off firewall etc
restarted etc

any suggestions ??
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: cant see tichome /google device

Post by RobLatour »

Thanks for your kind words.

When you do an -inventory or various other casting commands, cast uses a Google discovery protocol to ask all other google cast enabled devices on your network to identify themselves. On my own home network I have found this to be mostly, but not entirely, reliable.

If you know the ip address of other Google devices try to ping them. You can do this via the windows command line, for example:

ping 192.168.0.10

and see if they respond.

If no, then cast can't reach those devices because your windows computer can't either.

If yes, just try running cast using the ip address rather than the name of the device. If you do this cast will try up to two times to find the device given the address you provided.

if you don't want to use ping, there is another program I wrote called myarp which will inventory all your connected devices - you can check it out here: https://www.rlatour.com/myarp/index.html?cast

If this doesn't help, you can try running cast with the debug command and see what it says (you can post the results here). To do this first try

cast -debug -inventory

and then

cast -debug -text "this is a test' -ip 192.168.0.10
(or whatever your google devices ip address is)

the log should note which if it can reach the device.

PS: I would think there should be no reason for you to turn off your firewall
crispyastro

Post by crispyastro »

Hello, thank you for the wonderful program.

I have the same issue at the moment, it was casting properly a couple of days ago, and now it doesn't show any of my google devices even if I ping them and my OS can recognize them, cast still doesn't.

I tried to debug here, not sure what else to do.

If you have any other solutions I'd appreciate that.

Cheers
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I wonder if your firewall is blocking cast?
crispyastro

Post by crispyastro »

I suppose not, I switched off my firewall, same results. I imagine it is a windows/google issue, cause even chrome can't cast to my speakers, which it used to do directly.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

likely the same issue as being reported here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=828

You might want to look at the link of the post made this morning (Wed Feb 10, 2021) at 9:27 am