P2R to control extensive music library

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
John in NC

P2R to control extensive music library

Post by John in NC »

Many thanks for creating this. The mind boggles with possibilities.
I have a couple of media servers in my equipment closet that I use for audio sources for distribution throughout my home on a Russound system. My objective is fairly simple, I would like to be able to use commands like tell my “server 1” to play Christmas music for example. I would also of course like to be able to skip, fast forward, pause, name a song or artist to play from my local source. What would be my most straightforward way to accomplish this?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: P2R to control extensive music library

Post by RobLatour »

if you can tell me how you would do this thru Windows, perhaps I could tell you how to do it assisted by push2run
John in NC

Post by John in NC »

RobLatour wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:09 pm if you can tell me how you would do this thru Windows, perhaps I could tell you how to do it assisted by push2run
I’m not sure how to do it through windows without a graphic interface I’m assuming it would need to be with something that can be controlled through a command line Winamp? Just wondering if anybody had done something similar.
John in NC

Post by John in NC »

There has to be something to do this but here’s what I found.
Using a m3u playlist might work. The playlist.m3u would need individual file names in it to execute by any number of players.
I suppose I could push a command that would kick off a Perl script to create and execute the file based on input parameters. I have all my music library structured by c:/mp3/artist/album/song so I could specify artist to search all top level directories only to find all matching sub folder songs, write a temp playlist then execute. Or artist and album search to drop artist subdirectories that don’t match album query, create playlist, execute. Or specify song only. It could be done but that’s a lot of work to create. Someone has to have done this before. I know I’m late to the party with smart home automation