Action executed increasing numeber of times

Here you are welcome to report any Push2Run bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
cicalinarrot

Action executed increasing numeber of times

Post by cicalinarrot »

Hello!
I've been playing around for a couple days with p2r on Win 10 and encountered a problem (maybe coincidentally) after hibernating the computer and waking it up.
Apparently, the input coming from pushbullet is perceived multiple times, so the requested action (e.g. opening a web page) is executed several times (starts with two, happened up to six times like... opens up six tabs of the same page :o ).
When I restart the computer, it seems to go back to a normal single execution.
In IFTTT history, everything looks fine, the "if google assistant than pushbullet" action seems to just run once. But in the session log in p2r there are multiple identical "incoming push..." instances with a delay of 30 to 400 milliseconds.
I couldn't figure out how to check what pushbullet is actually sending.
I'll try again to confirm it's somehow related to hibernation.

...as I write I keep on checking stuff that may somehow be relevant. In task manager, in "processes" there's the p2r instances. In the "startup" tab, p2r right now appears to have 11 processes launching on startup (there's the "> Push2Run" element I can open up clicking on ">" and it shows 11 elements: one is Push2Run, the others are Chrome. Not sure this is relevant but...

I'll be happy to give other informations about this as soon as I have a little time.
Thanks for helping and have a good day :)
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Action executed increasing numeber of times

Post by RobLatour »

Well, the program should only run your requests once. However, they may be getting queued up with your PC not on / hibernating. I will need to do some testing for this.

I just ran a check myself and Push2Run only appears once in Microsoft Task Manager for me. Are you saying Push2Run appears more than once - or that it appears once and a bunch of other stuff is also appearing?

Thanks, Rob
cicalinarrot

Post by cicalinarrot »

In the "Processes" tab there was P2R only once as expected.
In the "Startup" tab of the task manager, P2R was not a standalone process but a dropdown one (with the ">" on the left to open it up). And, when open up, it showed P2R plus some google chrome processes.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Interesting - on my system Push2Run does not have a > listed beside it in the MS Task Manager Startup Window.

This both before and after putting my computer into hibernation mode.

Also, the program (for me) processed as expected after waking up from hibernation mode. It did not run the commands that I said thru my google home when the PC was in hibernation mode, but when it woke up again subsequent commands were run as expected.

I am using Windows 10 - are you as well?
GLORiousHERCules

Post by GLORiousHERCules »

I am encountering the exact same problem. After waking up my pc from sleep or hibernation, whenever i sends a request to my pc to open a web page it opens two same web pages. I checked the session log, but it is showing that only one action is executed.
jony

Post by jony »

Same here.

After my computer comes back from sleep, the already-running Push2Run instance sometimes starts executing two of the same command. Both IFTTT and PushBullet show only one command issued, but Push2Run executes the command twice. I suspect there are two threads listening to the same PushBullet feed.

I have verified that there is only one Push2Run instance running in Task Manager.

I cannot see what it says in Session Log as Push2Run crashes whenever I try to access Session Log (this is a separate issue that I have had since I installed Push2Run, but I have made my peace with it as it doesn't prevent me from using the program :).

The way I fix it is by exiting the existing Push2Run instance and starting a fresh one. If it continues to act up, I think I could set Task Scheduler to kill/restart Push2Run after sleep... But thought I'd at least report it here first!
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

For clarity, is the request that runs twice the first request you issue after the PC returns from sleep, or does it repeat the last request prior to your PC going to sleep?

Also, do further requests then also repeat twice, or does this issue happen only once after each wake up from sleep?

Finally- to resolve the command running twice issue it would be helpful to see your session log. However, I appreciate that you said Push2Run crashes when you try to bring it up. Do you get a pop-up error box of any kind before this happens?
jony

Post by jony »

Yes, the request that runs twice is the first request I issue after the PC returned from sleep. Further requests also repeat twice. To fix it, I manually exit and restart P2R.

Note also that this doesn't happen after every sleep. It happens intermittently, maybe once every 6-8 sleeps. It may be related to network/internet disconnects more than it is sleep.

When I try to open Session Log, the Windows 10 error popup says "Push2Run has stopped working - Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." The Session Log window goes blank with a "(Not Responding)" on it. This is just the standard error popup when an application crashes. I did go ahead and click Debug this time on the error popup and was able to see this in Visual Studio:

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidCastException' occurred in Push2Run.exe

Additional information: Unable to cast object of type 'Microsoft.Windows.Themes.ClassicBorderDecorator' to type 'System.Windows.Controls.Border'."

Hope that helps!
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

ok - well let start with the log issue.

I haven't ever seen this issue before, I googled for it and only found one related post

https://github.com/TorchAPI/Torch/issues/51

for the same problem with another program.

The problem, in that case, appears to be an issue for people using the Windows Classic theme.

By any chance does that apply to you as well?
jony

Post by jony »

Yes, I am using a custom theme based very nearly on the Windows Classic theme.