Does not run system commands without path and cannot use URLs

Here you are welcome to report any Push2Run bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Does not run system commands without path and cannot use URLs

Post by RobLatour »

Perhaps on your system c:\windows\system32 is not in your system path. You can check this by opening up a command prompt window (to do this press the windows key and the 'R' key at the same time, and in the pop-up box type "CMD" (without the quotes) and press enter. When the command window appears, just type "path" (without the quotes) and press enter. Next, check to see if in the long string that appears there is a reference to c:\windows\system32
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

ok - thanks

if you go to the windows command line and at the c:\ prompt (while not in the c:/windows/system32 directory) and type calc and press enter does the windows calculator appear?
Endracion

Post by Endracion »

Account got deleted so the other posts are lost, but to answer - yes, calculator does open from any folder location in cmd.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I'm not exactly sure of the issue yet, can you please try going into your Windows
Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Set defaults by app
and see if you have an entry in the list for 'Calculator' - if yes and the attached screenshot is what you should see.

Do you have such an entry?

(and again - sorry for inadvertently deleting your posts)
Attachments
calc.jpg
calc.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Endracion

Post by Endracion »

I am on Windows 7 - but I just wanted to point out that this is not limited to calculator, any system command that you'd expect to work in cmd will just not work from push2run (the shutdown, eventvmr executable for example) - and URLs are the ones that would be especially useful and do not seem to run.

I believe that the equivalent in Windows 7 is Set Default Programs and there is no mention of calculator in there.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I don't have any Windows 7 machines left, but what happens if you put the full path name and filename in the open field?

Also, for urls, you should be able to put the full path and file name of your browser in the open field and the url to open in the parameters field.

Does this work for you?
Endracion

Post by Endracion »

I did mention that providing the full path did work, sorry, it was in the original post which got deleted.
Thanks for clarifying what to do with URLs - providing the full chrome path in Open and then the URL string in Parameters has worked.
I guess this will have to do for the time being - thanks for your help.