Request for a Force cast command despite missing devices

Here you are welcome to report any Cast bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
splugburp

Request for a Force cast command despite missing devices

Post by splugburp »

I have several cast devices in the home and I want to setup cast to play back to only a select few devices. However, I've noticed that the -inventory command isn't consistent; I might run the command and it will pull up a list of detected devices, which may not be all of them. I'll run it again and then the majority are missing. I'll run it again and then a bunch of them are listed. I'm not sure why the devices keeps dropping in and out, there's no networking issues with the devices themselves as they are working normally.

Anyways, it's not a big deal if one or two of the devices aren't showing up, but the problem is if one of the devices are not seen by cast, then the command doesn't run at all. It would be nice if we could type a command to force it to still cast to other devices that are in the device list, even if all of them are not detected.

Here's the command I currently want to use:
-device "Bathroom Speaker" "Bedroom Display" "Living Room Display" "Kitchen Display" -voice Microsoft Zira Desktop -volume 60 -text Yes, your computer is on

The command works fine if I send it to a device that is currently detected by -inventory. Would sending the cast commands directly to the IP of the devices instead of the name make any difference?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Request for a Force cast command despite missing devices

Post by RobLatour »

basically -inventory sends a broadcast out to all your devices asking them to report in. I too have found from time to time some don't report back, not sure why

if you use the IP addresses everything will be much more reliable

when you use the device name, cast needs to find it first and then do the casting

when you use the IP address it just casts to the device at that IP address

if you use IP addresses you will likely need set them up as static in your router; i.e. they won't be dynamically resigned from time to time. If you don't know how to approach this just google for it and your router make and model
splugburp

Re: Request for a Force cast command despite missing devices

Post by splugburp »

Appreciate the quick reply, I figure I ask before I do the work of reserving IP addresses to all the Google devices on the network. Thanks for the great software, keep it up!