Push2Run Add Card, Then Force Close, Then All Cards Lost

Here you are welcome to report any Push2Run bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
sj1765

Push2Run Add Card, Then Force Close, Then All Cards Lost

Post by sj1765 »

Hi,

So, a few times I've gone to add an action by clicking "Actions" --> "Add". I've done this and then when I click "OK", it force closes and when reopened all my other actions and cards have been deleted and only the default ones remain (plus the thing I just added before the force close!)

This has happened twice now so I've lost all my actions several times.

What's going on?

Thanks!
sj1765

Re: Push2Run Add Card, Then Force Close, Then All Cards Lost

Post by sj1765 »

Okay, so I've fixed it...

In the push2run folder, I found a load of temp .db3 files (see below). There was one .db3 file that was just Push2Run.db3 and that's what the program seemed to be accessing the data from (this was just the default file with default actions). I removed that and renamed one of the earliest temp files "Push2Run.db3" and restarted the program and now all my actions are back.

Is there a reason that it is saving temp files and then creating the default .db3 file? Least I know I can get my actions back in future!
Attachments
p2run.PNG
p2run.PNG (23.09 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
sj1765

Post by sj1765 »

It'll also force close everytime I try to move an action down. When it reopens, it will then be at the bottom of the list where I wanted it. Is this normal?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Hi,

Those temp files are created when certain types of database updates are needed, for example if the sort order is changed. However, they should be automatically deleted once the update is done, usually within the very same second.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of Windows permissions issue on you machine?

Re the force close after moving an item, no that should not happen at all - but is one other example of where the temp files might get created. So back to the possible permissions issue.

Does this happen when you run as the administrator?
sj1765

Post by sj1765 »

It doesn't seem to force close on sorting actions when I right click and "run as administator".
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

ok - so there may be something odd going on with the permission on your computer as they relate to where the settings and database are stored.

Not sure why that would be.

Is this some sort of company PC, where they have limited your accesses is some way?
sj1765

Post by sj1765 »

Hmm. No, it's my home PC so would assume I have complete permissions as I am the sole user account.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

ok - so I'm really not sure why this would be happening.

Regarding losing all your actions, would suggest you go to the Push2Run - Options - Settings and Database files.

Click on the button which has the database name in it and that will open up the folder in which the database is stored.

Same folder as in your screenshot above.

You can delete all the _temp_backup files. But I would suggest you also copy your Push2Run.db3 file someplace safe and if this happens again you can re-copy it back into that folder and in that way not lose all your actions.

The fact that you are not having issues when you run as an administrator, but you do as a regular user makes me think it is a windows permissions thing specific to your PC.

One other thing you can try is to reinstall the program, but I suspect there is a low chance that will actually resolve your issue.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Also, when I go to the folder in which the database is stored using MS File Explorer, and click on the folder name, and select 'properties' and click on the 'Security' tab this is what I see (with the same set of permissions in for all user names):
2020-09-01_19-03-31.jpg
2020-09-01_19-03-31.jpg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
you should see the same sort of thing, if not please post what you see.
sj1765

Post by sj1765 »

Thanks for all that. Yes, I see the same thing on the folder properties.