setvol not recognizing mic device

Here you are welcome to report any SetVol bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
keenanwoodall

setvol not recognizing mic device

Post by keenanwoodall »

Apologies if this is not a bug and I'm using the program incorrectly, I'm new to this sort of thing!

The team I'm on is currently using an SDK that frustratingly sets the default mic device's volume to 50 whenever it initializes. Long-story-short, we don't know when this will be fixed, and cannot fix it ourselves. For the past month or so, we've had to open sound settings, go to input device properties and change the mic volume back to our preferred value everytime we test our app. Very annoying haha!

As a band-aid, I'd like to make a batch file I can distribute to the team that they can run to reset their mic volume.
To test setvol I tried to change the volume of my mic, whose name is "Desktop Microphone (RODE NT-USB Mini)" as you can see here:

However when I run the command to set the volume of the device, it says it wasn't found

Am I doing something wrong, or is that a bug?
The only thing I can think that might be messing stuff up is the weird character in the device name.

Also, when I open the device properties, it appears to have a different name.
Not sure why, but I tried both with no luck

If possible, I think it would be helpful to be able to set the default mic volume without supplying a device name, in the same way you can set the default output volume by not specifying a device.

perhaps you could specify the device type at the beginning of the command and the default or first device of that type will be picked? maybe something like setvol input 50 for the mic and setvol output 50 for the speaker volume?
keenanwoodall

Re: setvol not recognizing mic device

Post by keenanwoodall »

Ok yup, looks like the Ø character was the problem. I used the empty device command to get the device name which I copied and pasted into the following command to set the volume of the device. Looks like the console couldn't show the character, but it was still needed for setting the volume, so when I copy/pasted I was using the incorrect name. When I manually typed it out with the Ø character it worked!
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: setvol not recognizing mic device

Post by RobLatour »

glad you got it working, but was it a zero or the letter O?