Push2Run with no voice commands?

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
Javsp

Push2Run with no voice commands?

Post by Javsp »

Hi, I'm new here,

I'm wondering if it's possible to use this software without using your voice. I mean, I have an iPhone and so far I've been using Triggercmd to trigger an action (script) on my PC by just tapping the corresponding Siri shortcut. I've read Push2Run can trigger actions through Siri shortcuts in 3 ways: Dropbox, Pushbullet and Pushover. According to your setup guide all of them use voice commands when creating the Siri shortcut. Is it possible to edit this shortcut so the action triggers as soon as I tap it? How to?

Thanks.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Push2Run with no voice commands?

Post by RobLatour »

Yes, I actually just got it to work in that way after reading your question and fiddling around for about 20 minutes.

Generally, what I did was follow the instructions here:
https://push2run.com/help/setup_Apple_Dropbox.html
with everything being the same up to and including point 6.1

However, for point 6.2, instead of using Dictate text, I just enter the text of my command, for example "Open the calculator" (without the quotes) in the same way I enter text for point 6.1

6.2 and forward are the same.

Hope this helps!
Javsp

Post by Javsp »

It works! :D

I think the problem was the Dropbox desktop app wasn't syncing the new folder correctly (Apps\Push2Run)

I took sreenshots of my Siri shortcut for anyone else interested with the modification you mentioned and
the text which you have to associate it with in order to trigger it in the Push2Run Windows app.

Thanks!

PD: BTW, are the other 2 services (Pushbullet and Pushover) faster than Dropbox? I've noticed Dropbox has some seconds of delay until the action is triggered. I can live with that but I'd like to know the performance and reliability of the other 2 services (I could even pay for it if it has a reasonable price and it's a one-time payment).
Attachments
captura1.png
captura1.png (101.64 KiB) Viewed 25027 times
captura2.png
captura2.png (33.81 KiB) Viewed 25027 times
Last edited by Javsp on Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Thanks for sharing your findings!

re:
BTW, are the other 2 services (Pushbullet and Pushover) faster than Dropbox? I've noticed Dropbox has some seconds of delay until the action is triggered. I can live with that but I'd like to know the performance and reliability of the other 2 services (I could even pay for it if it has a reasonable price and it's a one-time payment).
I generally find them both pretty quick and quite reliable - both have free trials so you can test them out yourself.

Re paying for them, there is a chart here: https://www.push2run.com/help/setup.html and in it you can see that Pushover is much more economical (a one time $5 fee) - the downside being it is can be less flexible with Push2Run if you want to run Push2Run on across multiple computers in your network (as described in the misc. notes).

As for speed, I just ran a few quick tests of the new Siri Shortcut I built in response to your post and noticed that it seems to be spending most of it processing time on the Apple end of things - however I don't really know where and when the hand off to Dropbox is made, only that the progress bar (circle) on my iPad took up most of the time (6 to 7 seconds) as it worked its way to completion, and then once completed the resulting calculator was up on my screen in about 2 seconds.

When using Pushbullet / Pushover with my Google mini and my voice, opening the calculator takes about the same time overall - however in that case there was definitely a trip to someplace (likely 100s if not 1,000s of miles away) to do some voice to text transformations and then another trip to IFTTT that are not needed in the Siri text only shortcut; so in general for what is happening there potentially more processing being done in a very competitive time frame.
Javsp

Post by Javsp »

Thanks for the info. I'll try the free version of both services and I'll share my opinion here.

One more thing, I'm checking the chart. 1 push = 1 trigger? (1 Siri shortcut tap in my case).
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Not fully sure what you mean, but generally I believe yes,

1 push = 1 trigger = each time a Siri shortcut is tapped in your case

That is to say if you have a Siri shortcut and it generates a push each time you tap it, if you tap 100 times you will end up generating 100 pushes
Javsp

Post by Javsp »

Yes, that's what I meant.

I've been testing the free account of Pushbullet and it's pretty fast. According to the chart Pushbullet limis the pushes to 500/month in the free version (I couldn't find this limitation at their website tho). If they really offer 500 pushes/month that's more than enough for me.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Great!

Here's where Pushbullet talks about its push limits for free accounts:

https://docs.pushbullet.com/
Push limit
Free accounts (without a Pro subscription) are limited to 500 pushes per month. Going over will result in an error when sending a Push.
Hope Push2Run will be of good use to you.

Please don't forget to pass on the good word about it!