Specify the IP address for the PC running the cast software

Here you are welcome to post Cast feature requests
djaus

Specify the IP address for the PC running the cast software

Post by djaus »

As per "Cannot cast a text to my devices. Only to my own PC speakers." (thx seank)
Rob could you add a switch to specify the IP address for the PC running the cast software just in case the computer has multiple NIC's?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Specify the IP address for the PC running the cast software

Post by RobLatour »

Hi, there is already a switch to cast to an ip, as an example:

cast -text "this is a test" -ip 192.168.1.123

a list of ips can be obtained via the command:
cast -inventory

However, I believe the issue you are having is that with the Hyper-V Default Switch enabled casting won't work.

I'm not yet sure why that is, or if I can force casting through a specific NIC. I'll need to take a deeper look.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I found this program https://r1ch.net/projects/forcebindip which says it will do the trick, although when I tried it, I could not get it to work with the Hyper-V adapter enabled.

Of course, with the Hyer-V adapter disabled, everything works fine with cast alone (and I don't even need the forcebindip program at all.

Having that said, my Google devices are on a separate network, so that is perhaps making it difficult for me to use forcebindip.

My google device I want to cast to is at 192.168.200.114. I tried:
ForceBindIP 127.0.0.1 "C:\Program Files\cast\cast.exe" -text "This is a test" -ip 192.168.200.114 -pause
ForceBindIP 192.168.200.114 "C:\Program Files\cast\cast.exe" -text "This is a test" -ip 192.168.200.114 -pause
ForceBindIP {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx} "C:\Program Files\cast\cast.exe" -text "This is a test" -ip 192.168.200.114 -pause

(the -pause is so that I can see the results. However, it would not be needed once it was working.)

In any case, if you have any better luck, please let me know.

ref: https://superuser.com/questions/1369902 ... twork-card
ref: https://www.howtogeek.com/117890/how-to ... work-card/
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

As an update.

I rebooted my PC and now I can use Cast just fine, even if with the Hyper-V virtual switch enabled.

Not sure why this is, I tried running a vm on Hyper-V to see if using it would make a difference. It did not, Cast runs just fine with or without Hyper-V actually running a vm.

I checked the cast executable, in case the forcebindip program had updated it in some way, but it was unchanged. In fact, I reinstalled Cast and it is still working fine.

The only other command I ran, from the c: prompt, was
route print
to see the priority order of my adapter cards - however, I can't see that having made a difference at all.

In any case, Cast is working fine for me and as I understand it is working fine for you too (with Hyper-V disabled).

If you have any additional problems, just let me know.