The future of Push2Run - Google integration with IFTTT will be changing

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: The future of Push2Run - Google integration with IFTTT will be changing

Post by RobLatour »

Yes, it stopped working for me too this evening.

However, I was with some difficulty (described below) able to set up a new IFTTT applet to open the calculator on my PC.

To do this I went to IFTTT.com and created a new "Google Assistant v2" applet. In doing this, I was told I needed to first link my IFTTT account to Google (using in my case my android phone). I went through the process to do this, but it said it failed. However, in further testing (described below) infact it appears it did work.

I then created a new applet on IFTTT. For the IFTTT "if this" portion I used "Google Assistant v2" with a trigger phrase "open the calculator" (the 'activate' part is not keyed as per the IFTTT instructions). I also set the IFTTT "if that" portion up using a Push2Bullet push - in the same way as with the old method which is documented in the current Push2Run help.

It didn't work, but I then realized I had a typo in what I had keyed for the PushBullet title.

I tried to edit the IFTTT applet to correct this, but when attempting to save the change got an IFTTT error message that said "Sorry, there was a problem getting these action details; we are investigating!".

To get around this, I archived the IFTTT applet that I had just created and then created it anew (using the correct title in the PushBullet this time).

After that I gave it a test by saying "OK Google, activate open the calculator" and it worked fine (and with Push2Run's help the calculator was opened on my PC).

Of note - I did not have to make any changes to either my Push2Run Settings nor my existing Push2Run "open the calculator" card.

Having that said, the applet I just set up will now only do one thing - open the calculator.

If I want to do anything else with Push2Run I will need to create an applet / applets specific to that purpose ahead of time.

I have reported the set-up issues above to IFTTT and before documenting any of this on the website I will wait to hear back from them to see if they can first iron them out.

Also, in the old way of doing things the setup described in the existing help explains how to set things up to run on one or more computers should you have more than one that you are running push2run on. I will also have to figure out how this should now best be handled; but I'm almost sure its going to be based on words that you give IFTTT for its trigger phrase - for example, "open the calculator on computer 1".
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

For those with iPhones please see this post on reddit as a possible alternative to IFTTT and Google:
https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/com ... by_google/

I bet more people have iphones than have google homes. So here's a workaround-

Create a new shortcut in the shortcuts app with the following commands:

Dictate Text

Get Contents of URL "https://api.pushbullet.com/v2/pushes

-Method: POST
-Headers
--Access-Token "Pushbullet API access token"
-Request Body: JSON
--type: note
--title: "same title you set up in IFTTT"
--body: "Dictated Text"

Thats it. Now you can say Hey Siri "name of shortcut", pause 1 second and speak your command to pass to push2run. It's not as smooth due to the 1 second pause, but bypasses IFTTT and google completely.
I'm working to set this up now on an iPad. Will post more info later ....

( Thanks very much reddit user Changeftf )
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Further to the above post, here is how to set up an iPhone/iPad to invoke Push2Run via Siri and PushBullet (neither Google nor IFTTT are required for this):

To set up the shortcut on your iPhone/iPad first say "Hey Siri open shortcuts"

A screen should appear, tap on the "+" beside the 'Select' at the top of the screen.

While perhaps not obvious, the screen will be waiting for you to enter a name for your shortcut, you can enter
"Tell my computer to" (without the quotes)
for the name of the shortcut.

In the screen that appears search for and add "Dictate Text".

Next, search for and add "Get contents of"

Your settings should look like this (you may click on the image below to enlarge it):
ApplePushbullet.jpg
ApplePushbullet.jpg (201.79 KiB) Viewed 3654 times

Next press 'Done' at the top of the screen.

Finally, press and hold on the shortcut, a window should open, press "Details", and then press the option 'Add to Home Screen".

After that, you should be able to say "Hey Siri Tell my computer to" and pause for a few seconds after which time Siri says "What is the text" and you can say "Open the Calculator" (or whatever you want to do). From there it should work with PushBullet sending the Pushbullet push to Push2Run, and Push2Run processing it

For the above, no changes should be needed to your Push2Run settings nor your existing Push2Run cards.

( Thanks very much reddit user Changeftf for their direction and insights on how to set this up )
Systox

Post by Systox »

Thanks for the mention :D.

I’ve been playing around with Siri/webhooks and found some experiences superior to google assistant. Simple commands are more natural because shortcuts don’t have the google-IFTTT limitations that necessitated trigger phrases. IE:

Google assistant: “Hey google, *trigger phrase* command”
~Versus~
Siri: “Hey Siri, command”

To do this, remove the “dictate text” and “dictated text” from the shortcut. In place of dictated text, type what you want pushed to Push2Run. Then, rename your shortcut to whatever command you want to tell Siri.

For wildcards and nuanced commands, like specifying variables for volume %, the 1 second pause with ‘dictate text’ option has to be used until we find another solution.

We’re really only scratching the surface of what shortcuts are capable of. Check out the shortcuts subreddit for more information. Also, shortcuts are seemingly compatible with the apple HomePods, for the few of you that have them.

I haven’t given up on google assistant but its looking bleak. They’re even discontinuing applet conversational actions in 2023, which would have been a potential workaround. Don’t hold your breath on Siri or Alexa either, who knows when these two will go rogue and break functionality.
Metrasher

Post by Metrasher »

This is sad as f!
I hope there opens a hole somewhere, somehow, so that Push2Run becomes relevant again. It is such a good idea and worked pretty well.
I donated the other day as I realized I didn't do anything to support this project. Now it could be irrelevant to donate, but I think it is well deserved.
Thanks for your work until this day, Rob.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Thanks - just like a waiter at the end of the meal, I really appreciate the tip!

I'm reworking the website, the change throws everything up in the air. Hope some use can be salvaged for it.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I have found a way to make it work with Siri and Dropbox.

Here is the shortcut card needed (you may click on the image below to enlarge it):
dropbox.jpg
dropbox.jpg (145.84 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
My computer's name is ROBSOFFICE, you need to change that in your setup to be your computer name - it should match what you have in your Push2Run - Options - Dropbox - Device name.

Of note, the dropbox file seems to get created in three steps, line1 then line 2 then line 3. This causes a bunch of extra processing to be displayed in the Push2Run session log, but ultimately it processed ok.

I will document further in the help when I can get to it.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I am now working on the revised setup documentation, it is still a draft as I have a question out to IFTTT on why something is not working in my own personal setup that should be. However here it is thus far: https://www.push2run.com/help/setup_revised.html

Next, I will move on to the main help documentation to make the needed change there too.

For all those who are bearing with me on this, thank you!
9598jhj

Post by 9598jhj »

As an Android-based user, I am saddened by iftt's update Is there room for improvement someday?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I am an Android cell phone user too, so I share your pain. However, it's worth noting that this change was driven by Google not IFTTT.