The future of Push2Run - Google integration with IFTTT will be changing

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: The future of Push2Run - Google integration with IFTTT will be changing

Post by RobLatour »

The draft help documentation and text changes to the web page are now complete, but I can't yet post them.

Commands to Google which route through IFTTT aren't working reliably for me. For example, if I say "OK Google, action close the garage door" it will work sometimes, but more often it will not work (rather I get responses like "there are few locations, here are their business hours for today").

I am emailing back and forth with IFTTT.

Once things settle in, I hope to update the webpage and create a new youtube video.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Ok, so a couple of new things:

1. In working with my Google Assistant device and IFTTT, I found a way to say "OK Google, do something" instead of "OK Google, activate do something" and have it work.

If you would like to do this too, then to get this to work go into the Google Home app on your phone, tap the 'Routines' icon, tap the colourful '+' sign in the bottom right of the screen, tap 'Add Starter', tap 'When I say to Google Assistant', enter phase you are working with but do not include the word 'activate' - for example "open the calculator" (without the quotes), tap 'Add starter', tap 'Add Action', tap 'Try adding your own', enter the same phase as above but this time be sure to include the 'activate' at the beginning of it - for example "activate open the calculator" (without the quotes), tap 'Done'.

Of note, with the above Google will not respond with a confirmation. If you would like to also hear a confirmation, then tap on 'Add action', tap on 'Communicate and announce', tap on the check box beside 'Make an announcement, tap on the option 'Announce on the device that started the routine', enter whatever you want in 'Your Message' - for example "OK, opening the calculator", tap on the check symbol at the top right of the screen, tap 'Save', tap 'Done'.

Tap 'Save', and leave the Google Home app.

After that, I can say "OK Google, open the calculator" and it works.

2. In working with my Google device, I found a way to say "OK Google, open the calculator" instead of "OK Google, activate open the calculator" and have it work. To get this to work I have to go into the Google Home app on my phone, tap the 'Routines' icon, tap the colourful '+' sign in the bottom right of the screen, tap 'Add Starter', tap 'When I say to Google Assistant', type what I want the phase to be NOT including the word 'activate' - for example "open the calculator" (without the quotes), tap 'Add starter', tap 'Add Action', tap 'Try adding your own', type what I want the phase to be including the word 'activate' - for example "activate open the calculator" (without the quotes), tap 'Done', tap 'Save', leave the Google Home app. After that, I can say "OK Google, open the calculator" and it works. However, Google does not respond with a confirmation.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

The website has now been updated with a new main page, setup and help documentation.

As a to-do - I still need to recreate the youtube video that explains the program.

Of note - no changes were needed to the program itself.

Thanks to all who have shown patience through this time.
hivaefro

Post by hivaefro »

Thanks Rob, ran into a few issues along the way but managed to get everything working again per your instructions.

- Found out that the fix was to create new google assistant v2 applets
- IFTTT only shows an option to archive the old applets, which still conflicted with the names/phrase of my new applets and it won't let me save. Had to google to find that IFTTT has some other page for deleting applets
- Could not connect to IFTTT inside of google home, quick google indicates to add an existing applet that already uses google assistant v2, then try connecting
- Could not get applets recognized after setting up, per your instructions had to reconnect IFTTT inside google home

Overall the changes did not affect me much. I have a simple use case to shutdown my 2 computers at the end of a goodnight routine, so instead of using a custom action for "routine1" its now "activate routine1".
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

@hivaefro - glad it's working well for you.

I have been archiving my old Google applets that did specific things and creating new ones with the same or similar trigger phases as well. Originally, I tried simply editing the existing ones and changing the 'then' part, but that did not work out well. Beyond that, although I did have some issues until I learned I had to reconnect IFTTT each time from within the Google Home app, generally, it has been working well. I have not had to delete any old IFTTT applets myself. However, of course, as soon as I type this I'll probably find out that I will need to :-)

IFTTT has not had a lot of time to react to the changes, but I suspect/hope with time they will iron out what remaining issues there are.

In any case, again I'm glad it's working well for you now - and thank you for sharing your experience as I'm sure it will be helpful to others!
dkgarcia

Post by dkgarcia »

RobLatour wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:47 am The website has now been updated with a new main page, setup and help documentation.

As a to-do - I still need to recreate the youtube video that explains the program.

Yes, please update your video and Thanks for all that you do! My stomach just dropped when I saw the changes and my push2run aint working coz of the new changes with Google Assistant. :evil: :(
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

@dkgarcia - the website and help have been updated already. However, if you've visited recently you may need to refresh your browser or view the website in your browser's incognito window so as to ensure you are not picking up old cached versions of the text or images.
REDDDDY

Post by REDDDDY »

RobLatour wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:47 am The website has now been updated with a new main page, setup and help documentation.

Thank you for your continued work on this project Rob.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
smay_lee

Post by smay_lee »

Thx Rob. We believe in you!
LazySpaniard

Post by LazySpaniard »

Hello all. I made a thing that we may be able to use instead of Google/IFTTT and would like your help developing further!

See more here.
viewtopic.php?t=1116
( May not be accessible when you click the link as it's my first post with this account so it's pending approval ;)