NirCmd during Windows screen saver

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
derek.flake

NirCmd during Windows screen saver

Post by derek.flake »

I am using Google Home >> IFTTT >> Pushbullet >> Push2Run to control various things on my computer, including my media player.

When my screen saver is on, the commands from NirCmd don't have any effect (mostly sendkeypress and probably other NirCmd commands, but I haven't tested extensively). The Session Log in Push2Run looks fine and reads "action completed".

Other Push2Run commands seem to work fine during the screen saver, such as SetVol.exe or running a program like MusicBee with parameters.

This won't be duplicated by manually running your screensaver in Preview mode or by running a slide show program. You have to wait for Windows to start the screen saver based on your specified idle time (ie. 1 minute). Seems like a weird windows 10 thing that these are different actions.

One work around for my issue is to use a program like Watch4Idle and run an .scr file through that, but I'm wondering if there's a way to use NirCmd while the built-in windows screen saver is on?

Cheers,

Derek.
derek.flake

Re: NirCmd during Windows screen saver

Post by derek.flake »

Just a bump on my old post, with some clarification.

I have Google Home/Assistant connected to Push2Run and it works great for everything except my slideshow screensaver related commands.

Starting the screensaver works well, but I'd like to also be able to end the screensaver, and also move next & previous photos in the slideshow (up and down arrows on the keyboard). I've tried key presses using AutoHotKey and NirCmd but these do not work. The funny thing is these commands work fine if I start the screensaver manually, but not if the screensaver comes on due to the idle time I specified in windows settings.

Is there a permissions issue or something going on with Windows 10 screensaver that I should know about?

Derek.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: NirCmd during Windows screen saver

Post by RobLatour »

It sounds like a Windows security thing, have you tried contacting the author of nircmd ( https://www.nirsoft.net/contact-new.html )?