I can't use Push2Run 2.1.1

Here you are welcome to report any Push2Run bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
aurelbdx

I can't use Push2Run 2.1.1

Post by aurelbdx »

Hi, thanks for your great app!

I can't open this new version but I can see Push2Run.exe in the task manager.
I can see the GUI for 1 second but it closes immediately and then opens again.
In the task manager there is also Push2RunReloader.exe which opens and closes in a loop.

I use Windows 7 with the administrator privileges.
V2.1 works great.
Last edited by aurelbdx on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: I can't use Push2Run 2.1.1

Post by RobLatour »

Can you please restart your computer and let me know what happens?

In the Push2Run - Options - Startup which options are checked?
aurelbdx

Post by aurelbdx »

same problem when I restart my computer.
In Option/Startup I have checked "start Push2Run when you log on..." and "start using administatrator privileges..."

If I unchecked "start using administatrator privileges...", when I click on "Remove administatrator privileges from Push2Run", Push2Run restart but I have always "Administatrator Privileges" on the left top of the GUI.
Is it normal ? Same problem with v2.1
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I can't seem to be able to recreate your issue.

Can you please double check you are using version 2.1.1?

When you have the option 'Start Push2Run when you logon to Windows' and 'Start using administrator privileges by default' both checked, then what should (and does for me) happen is that when you first start your machine, you will receive a Windows UAC prompt to start Push2Run with admin privileges.

If you respond yes, Push2Run will start with admin privileges.

If you respond no (or if the prompt times out), Push2Run will not start at all.

Assuming you respond yes (as noted above) Push2Run will start and be running with admin privileges.

If you then select from the main menu 'Remove administrative privileges from Push2Run' the program will exit and restart without admin privileges.

If later you then select from the main menu, 'Give Push2Run administrative privileges'' then you will get a UAC prompt for Push2RunReloader. Assuming you respond yes, the Push2Run without admin privileges will exit, and Push2Run with admin privileges will be loaded. If you respond no, Push2Run will simply continue to run without the admin privileges.
aurelbdx

Post by aurelbdx »

I don't have the Windows UAC prompt because I set it on "Never notify me".
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

The video you posted shows the program running, as it should be based on what you said, with admin privileges. If you watch closely you will see at times Push2RunReloader running, in short this program is a helper program for Push2Run and is used to transition Push2Run from running as without admin privileges to with them.
aurelbdx

Post by aurelbdx »

yes but with v2.1 I don't see Push2RunReloader.exe in the task manager and the app stay open
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Push2RunReloader will only ever run briefly, it allows push2run to be reloaded (restarted) as described above. Once that has happened Push2Run reloader will exit.

PushRunReloader does show up in task manager, if you look you will see it appears between 37 seconds and 42 seconds into the video you posted.

In any case, I am still not sure what is not working that you want to be working. Push2Run is running with admin privileges at startup by default, because that is what your options say for it to do. You said you can't change the privileges back down to normal once it is running with admin privileges but in my testing that works just fine 100% of the time. If that is not working for you, perhaps it is because you have turned UAC off (but that is something that most people would advise strongly against).
RuT

Post by RuT »

Exactly the same issue. Also using win 7 64bits.
Push2run 2.1.1 loops. It starts, then disappears after 1 second, and restarts and disappears again, ... continuously.
I had to restart my PC in safe mode to be able to uninstall the program.

I was using version 2.0.6 or 2.0.5. How can I reinstall this version ?