Keeps restarting

Here you are welcome to report any Push2Run bugs you may have encountered

if you know of a workaround, it would be great if you would mention that too
nmi5

Keeps restarting

Post by nmi5 »

my push2run is restarting constantly and I cant stop it without shutting down my pc and then whenever I start push2run back up it does the same thing agani
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Keeps restarting

Post by RobLatour »

Please see this post: https://www.push2run.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=658 - where a startup workaround for the problem is described. However, apart from that, the easiest solution is to set Windows User Access Controls ( UAC ) back on and to its default levels.
Smee8576

Post by Smee8576 »

I am having the same issue on Windows 2008R2. I used to run Push2Run from the console without issues prior to 2.1. UAC is on, however on the console that doesn't seem to make a difference and the application will go on in a loop restarting itself. On a hunch, I created a normal user account and logged in with Remote Desktop. Push2Run seems to run without a problem from the Remote Desktop session although it is a royal pain to have to launch it this way every time I restart the server. Not sure what the difference between the console and remote desktop session could be.

Smee
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows 2008 (or WIndows 7) from which people have reported this a problem. Starting Push2Run from the console works fine for me with Windows 10.

I'm wondering, in Windows 2008 if either a) elevating the console prior to launching Push2Run (aka launching the console with a Run As Administrator), or b) changing the current directory to c:\Program Files\Push2Run prior to starting Push2Run would help?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I have been doing some reading and think I may have a solution to the looping start-up problem with Push2Run on Windows 7 / Windows 2008.

I’ve created a beta version for version 2.2 of the program, which can be downloaded from here:
https://6ec1f0a2f74d4d0c2019-591364a760 ... tav220.exe

The beta contains what I hope will be the fix, plus a couple other changes (I added an option to save session log to disk, and included some minor improved wording for users with accessibility needs).

Unfortunately, I don’t have a Windows 7 / Windows 2008 machine to test it on, but am hopeful that it will work.

If anyone would like to try it out they are welcome to do so.

If you do try it out, I would ask that you please post back here to let me know if it resolves to looping at start-up problem for you.

Thanks, Rob
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I've now had feedback from one client, the change in the beta did not resolve the issue.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

I've made another change that will hopefully help - if someone current experiencing the problem could test with it and post thier results that would be great. Download is from here: https://6ec1f0a2f74d4d0c2019-591364a760 ... tav220.exe
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I had this also with 2.1.2 - and my UAC is turned off in Windows 7.

To fix it, I edited the user.config file and changed this line to TRUE

<setting name="StartBossAsAdministratorByDefault" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>

======

I then set my P2R icon to run as admin just in case.

Rob - Dunno how easy it would be, but perhaps the user.config file could be made with a txt or ini extension to make it a pinch easier to edit if needed ?

Just a thought.

Edit - I have just removed 'Run as admin' from the P2R icon and it still runs fine. The fix is in that user.config line edit to True
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Warrior:

My guess is the problem will still be there if you go to the main window, click on Action, and click on the option to change the administrator privilege status. That is to say, you can start the program with admin privileges as you have suggested, but switching them back and forth will likely still be problematic.

In the latest beta, I’ve tried something different towards resolving the problem – which is that Windows 10 does not identify a program running with admin privileges in the same way as prior versions. Normally this would be an easy fix, but how one gets at this info for older version is not exactly straight forward – which again would not in itself be a real problem, it's more I just don’t have licenses for earlier versions of Windows to test fully with.

Regardless, I took a stab at it, and am hoping the latest beta will fix it.

Regarding the settings file, it is in a format called xml. The file itself created in that using a stock feature the tool that Push2Run was built with (visual studio - vb.net). Changing could be done, but would take quite a bit of time - and not really worth the 'pinch' of value.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Ok - I clicked on actions and removed admin privileges and it started looping again.

I had to crash it to stop it.

I can instantly fix it by right clicking the icon, then clicking Run as Administrator.

Windows 7, UAC turned off.