Cast Inventory

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Cast
bgsdeluxe

Cast Inventory

Post by bgsdeluxe »

Hello Rob, hello everybody,

am trying to get push2run to work with my mobile, but need to give it a break for now.
In the meantime I wanted to configure Cast. As from what I read and understood it should help bringing up a conversation between an Android device and my PC (required by Google assistant for answering after firing a command?). This tool should reply with the pre-configured answers on IFTTT, right?
As push2run should also work with Android smartphones and cast being an essential part of the functionality, I expected it to be an easy task.
But after installation cast isn't listing my Android phone in the inventory. Somehow I have the intention I need to activate a service on the phone, something like Miracast/Chromecast functionality.
In the description you address Google Home, Google Mini, and/or Google Max. But how can the smartphone be missing when this is the only Android device I have and my only goal was to be able to voice-control my PC with Google Assistant on my smartphone? Isn't this what push2run was designed for?

Any help would be appreciated! Best regards,

-Björn
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Cast Inventory

Post by RobLatour »

just to clarify things ....

push2run runs on your windows pc, it allows you to speak commands to your google devices running google assistant, and with the help of ifttt, have those commands run on your PC.

Cast runs on your pc, it allows you to cast sound files (music) and text (spoken words) to chromecast devices. Google home, mini, and max are all chromecast capable devices, as is a chromecast device (that plugs into your tv).

Your android phone can run google assistant, allowing you to use it to send commands via ifttt to push2run. However, your Android phone can not, as far as I know, operate as a chromecast device - so you can't cast to it using cast.
bgsdeluxe

Re: Cast Inventory

Post by bgsdeluxe »

Ok, that made things clearer for me. :)

Thanks for your reply and keep up the great work!