Is it possible to Push Silently?

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
Function

Is it possible to Push Silently?

Post by Function »

Hello,
I was able to successfully setup the application. Bravo Rob!

Question for you and the rest of the community: every successful command triggers a notification in Pushbullet on my phone and in the Chrome plugin. Is it possible to ignore the notifications and have the commands run silently in Push2Run?

Thanks!
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to Push Silently?

Post by RobLatour »

A simple question, with a detailed answer ...

By the nature of how pushbullet works, all devices running a pushbullet app will listen for pushes from pushbullet and react to them as programmed.

In the case of the pushbullet chrome app, for example, it generally waits for a note and then displays the pop-up screen until it is dismissed.

In the case of push2run it waits for a note with a specific title and then only actions it if it matches the title you define in your settings, further to this nothing really happens from the user's perspective unless the message of the note also matches a phrase you pre-defined on a push2run card.

That is why you would see the chrome app reacting to all notes, and push2run appearing to react to one some (the ones that apply to them).

With the pushbullet chrome app, and pushbullet, there are options to show notifications on your computer (or not) and hide them automatically after either 8 or 30 seconds. But these apply to all notifications. The pushbullet chrome app has no settings to ignore specific pushes with certain titles or message content, so it unfortunately always pops up unless you have set the setting not to show any at all.

To minimize this issue, when push2run gets a message that applies to it, it both processes based on that message and dismisses it. Accordingly, if you wait a bit, with push2run and the pushbullet chrome app both active, you will see the chrome app popup appear but then instead of you manually having to dismiss it (or having to wait the 8 or 30 seconds), push2run will dismiss it once it confirms its title and content apply to it.

So to get this to work as you might otherwise wish, you would need to lobby pushbullet to update their app to not display popups with specified user-defined titles that you set in their settings.

I haven't tested with the phone app, but wager that it behaves in the same way as the chrome app.

Hope this helps explain things.
Function

Post by Function »

Interesting. Yes that explains the Chrome plugin option. It's actually the iPhone application that is more bothersome. Every command (note) is pushed to my phone, lighting up the screen and having to be dismissed. There are no options to configure in the application. Perhaps the only thing to do is to disable push notifications in the phone's settings. That will limit some of the other functionality I am used to when using PB to send links, files, text to my phone.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

You might want to post a request related to this at https://www.reddit.com/r/PushBullet/