none of my devices are found

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Cast
Invkni

none of my devices are found

Post by Invkni »

i have 6 chromecasts devices in my house. but cast -inventory only finds the windows voices. can anyone help? what am i doing wrong?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: none of my devices are found

Post by RobLatour »

Do you have a mesh network in your house?
Invkni

Post by Invkni »

nope. single router. my Pc is connected by ethernet, the chromecasts by wifi. but when i try connect my pc using wifi, it doesn't work either.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

you might want to check that your PC is connecting to the same network as your chromecast devices. For example, routers often have a 5g network and a non-5g network associated with them. Perhaps your PC is connected to one and your chomecast devices the other?
caloizou

Post by caloizou »

Hey, i'm having the same issue. When I run

Code: Select all

cast -inventory
I only get my computer and its two voices. My Google Home Mini is connected to the same network.

Any ideas?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Do you have a mesh network in your house?
caloizou

Post by caloizou »

If you mean multiple routers / networks then no. I have one network with one band (5Ghz my computer says)
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

ok - can you cast to your google device from chrome?

Also, are your google devices set up on your regular wifi network or on your guest network? Some people set up their google and other home automation devices on their guest network with LAN access to the guest network turned off. In this way, for increased security, their Google devices and other home automation devices can access the internet as needed to work, but can't access any information on their regular network / computers. If this is the case for you, your PC is effectively separated from your Google devices and cast will not be able to cast.
caloizou

Post by caloizou »

I can't seem to cast to my Google Home Mini from Chrome. I'm pretty sure there is only one network, no guest network, so they should be connected to the same one. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the mini and my PC but still no luck. If I figure out how to get cast working on Chrome, that should inherently fix the issue, right?
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Yes, I believe it should.

I just did some googling and found this video - don't know if it will help, but you can take a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya7jN2aqCUo