Sending messages through Google Messages for Web

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
ElaineKane

Sending messages through Google Messages for Web

Post by ElaineKane »

Hello! Recently discovered this program and am absolutely loving it so far. In testing out and trying to create some of my own cards, I ran into a problem with inputting text to Google Messages for Web specifically. Since Google Assistant doesn't have texting capability yet, I decided to try and do it through Push2Run. Forking the "Tweet" card, I tried to write up a card to pull up the Google Messages URL and enter in text, then tab 5 times and enter to send. Google Messages is opened up, however, it never enters any text or the tab and enter keystrokes.

This is what my card looks like below:
GoogleMessagesPush2RunCard.jpg
GoogleMessagesPush2RunCard.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
This is what Google Messages looks like when you open up a link. When logged in, the number at the end of the URL specifies which conversation you open up. (In the image, the number for my mom is 10; if I changed it to 19 it would open up my chat with my dad.) Opening up the URL automatically places your cursor in the text entry field.
GoogleMessagesExample.jpg
GoogleMessagesExample.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Sidenote: I usually run ublock origin on everything but I've whitelisted this site to support with ad revenue since I can't support through donation :D

In the previous screenshot, I made the window tiny to be able to capture the URL with the whole screen, so the "send" button is only one {tab} away from the text entry field. Usually, when you open it fullscreen, there's emoji, sticker, etc. buttons, so the send button is 5 tabs away (which is what I used in my card, since I've set it to open up in a maximized window).
GoogleMessagesTextInputBar.jpg
GoogleMessagesTextInputBar.jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
I am able to enter text separately (run this card, which opens up the Google Messages site, then use a separate command "type $") I am able to type in a text and send it. But it doesn't work in conjunction with opening the link and then typing and sending, and I can't figure out why.

I also tried setting the "Open" field to Chrome, with the link as the parameter, like the Tweet card had it. That didn't work either, so I went back to the link as the "Open" field since it's more concise. I'm not running Push2Run with administrator privileges, so it can't be that. I'd really love for this to work, so thank you in advance for any advice/solutions!
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Sending messages through Google Messages for Web

Post by RobLatour »

Thanks for your kind words about the program, glad you're loving it!

Also, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I had to install Google Messages for Web on my PC and phone and do some playing around.

So what I've noticed is that if Chrome is not already running, Chrome picks up the keys Push2Run is sending it just fine, but if it is already running while it will open up a new tab, but not apply the keystrokes for the message - as you have reported.

Not sure why that is, will have to play around some more to see if I can figure out a workaround.

Until then, the following seems to work (if chrome isn't already running) ...

{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}${ENTER}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{WAIT999}{ALT}{F4}

The alt f4 at the end is designed to close out Chrome so that it won't be running the next time it is invoked.

Clearly problematic, so I'll keep looking for a better workaround/fix.

If you find anything yourself, would ask that please post about it here.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Ok, I found what looks to be a more workable workaround ....

Here is a screenshot:
2020-08-22_1-18-05.jpg
2020-08-22_1-18-05.jpg (140.16 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
(your version of chrome may be stored elsewhere on your computer if so you'll need to update the 'Open' and 'Start directory' values.)

Here too is the Push2Run card ...
text.p2r
(804 Bytes) Downloaded 112 times

Please let me know if that helps.
ElaineKane

Post by ElaineKane »

It works!! Thank you again for your program and for being such a big help to all your users, you're awesome!