push2run fails to start since today

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
wolfsherz

push2run fails to start since today

Post by wolfsherz »

hi,

i am using push2run for years. now since today i got an error message when starting. i didnt changed anything.

i restarted my pc several times. still the same. then i reinstalled push2run newest version. still the same problem.

i put screenshot of error message on attachment.

please help. what could be the reason for this error ? and how can i fix it ?
2Anmerkung 2020-08-30 171618.jpg
2Anmerkung 2020-08-30 171618.jpg (195.62 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: push2run fails to start since today

Post by RobLatour »

It appears your settings file is corrupted.

Of note, this is just your settings file - it contains things your preferences and info needed to connect to pushbullet/pushover/or dropbox. It does not contain all your Push2Run control cards - they are stored in another file and there is no indication that there is anything wrong with that file.

The settings file is named user.config and can be found in a folder called:
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Rob_Latour\Push2Run.exe_Url_<a bunch of letters and numbers>\3.0.3
(assuming you are running with the most current version, and where xxx is your Windows user id)

Please read the rest of this note entirely, before moving ahead with the fix.

Approach 1:
A fairly sure way to fix this is to just exit the program and delete the user.config file mentioned above and then next just restart the program and it will recreate your setting files. However, if you do that you will need to re-enter all your settings.

Approach 2:
So a better way, is to look for a previous version of the same file, for example in the \3.0.2 folder if you were using that version prior to upgrading to the current version, and then exit the program and copy the file in the \3.0.2 folder to replace the corrupted one in the \3.0.3 folder.

Approach 3:
The best way would be if you have a recent backup of the user.config file in the folder associated with the version of the program you are running, in which case, just replace the user.config file with the recent backup.

Having that said:

if you are using Push2Run password feature, you should a) make a backup of the user.config file in the \3.0.3 (or whichever version you are running) folder, and only try Approaches 2 or 3 above.

Please let me know if that solves your problem.
wolfsherz

Post by wolfsherz »

thank you.

deleting the config file, solved my problem.

it was recreated after restart.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

thanks for the update.

If you aren't doing backup ups, you may want to back up that file as well as the database file on an ongoing basis.

The location of both can be found on the Push2Run - Options - Settings and Database window.