Request: Option to ignore files older than X.

Here you are welcome to post Push2Run feature requests
GTrainAU

Request: Option to ignore files older than X.

Post by GTrainAU »

Hi.

Love the program. Only major issue I'm running into is issuing commands that involve the PC (routines through Google Home) while the PC is off, then when the PC boots later, it logs into Dropbox and performs the command (usually shutdown).

Anyway it would be possible to add an option for Push2Run to determine the file age and ignore the command if it's older than say an hour? This would be a nice little QoL improvement if possible. I realize this would be better implemented by Dropbox (to setup a schedule to remove files after a certain duration), but I've been unable to find any way of doing this, or really suggesting it to the dev team.

Thanks.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Request: Option to ignore files older than X.

Post by RobLatour »

Hi, thanks very much for your kind words.

Actually, the fix is in place for this already within Push2Run - its something that was added along the way - but you will have to go back into your IFTTT applet and apply the change as described in Step 14 of the setup instructions here: https://www.push2run.com/setup_dropbox.html

More specifically, its the content field associated with the Dropbox part of the IFTTT applet that needs to be adjusted to contain:

the Device name you used in step 3 above. It should be followed by "<br>" without the quotes
followed by the IFTTT ingredient {{TextField}} and by "<br>" without the quotes
followed by the IFTTT ingredient {{CreatedAt}} and by "<br>" without the quotes

The last part of which is the update needed on the IFTTT side to make use of the fix already in place in the program.
Please make sure you enter it exactly as shown in the setup instructions - with all three <br> included.

Please let me know if that helps.
GTrainAU

Post by GTrainAU »

Hi.

Thanks! Sorry for suggesting something that was already implemented.
I've modified the IFTTT applet with the additional line (I had the third <br>, but nothing before it). I'm sure it will solve the issue.

Out of interest, what's the timer for exclusion of commands?

Thanks again. This app is awesome!
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

You're very welcome.

The exclusion time is three minutes; that is to say if Push2Run hasn't seen the dropbox file created within three minutes of IFTTT time stamping it as 'created' (because for example, your computer was off at the time) then the command will be ignored when it finally does arrive.

Ideally, I would have like to make it even less, but IFTTT does not include the seconds in their created at the timestamp, so for allowing for some variety in time as set on your PC vs IFTTT and for rounding, I went with three minutes which should work in most cases I would think.