Computers current status?

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to Push2Run
zck113

Computers current status?

Post by zck113 »

I've been trying to find a way to check if the computer is on or not. I saw a card in the setup page for p2r that showed something like that using cast, but I can't figure out what the whole command actually is.

was that just a test card or does it work?

thanks for any feedback
RobLatour
Site Admin

Re: Computers current status?

Post by RobLatour »

Yes, it works.

Here is the Push2Run card that I use:
Confirm_computer_is_running.p2r
(781 Bytes) Downloaded 117 times
Some notes:

1. cast needs to be installed for this to work, if you don't have it you can get it from here: https://www.rlatour.com/cast/

2. I set my IFTTT applet up as per the setup instructions on the Push2Run website, with the IFTTT applet listening for:
tell my computer to $
and
ask my computer to $

3. the device name in the attached Push2Run card would need to be changed for your setup

4. if you don't include the device name, cast will broadcast the confirmation message to all your devices

5. I've found, for whatever reason, somewhere within Google or IFTTT commands with the word "if" in them are not handled very well.
Accordingly, what I say is:
OK Google ask my computer to confirm that it is on
(which works reliably) as opposed to
OK Google ask my computer if it is on
(which does not work reliably).

6. Finally, when you say
OK Google ask my computer to confirm that it is on
then if your computer is on you should hear a response that it is on,
if you don't hear a response either your computer is not on or something is broken :-)

Hope this helps
zck113

Post by zck113 »

running into an issue where I am unable to import cards.

It shows as a .p2r file, not zip, and i can't drag/drop either.

Any ideas? Still pretty new to using p2r, not sure if this is user error hahah

Code: Select all

2021-03-30 06:42:08.030 - Importing started

2021-03-30 06:42:08.030 - Importing to database from C:\Users\Mxthic\Downloads\Put computer to sleep.p2r

2021-03-30 06:42:08.032 - Import failed - most likely the Import file is in the wrong format

2021-03-30 06:42:11.909 - Importing started

2021-03-30 06:42:11.910 - Importing to database from C:\Users\Mxthic\Downloads\Confirm_computer_is_running.p2r

2021-03-30 06:42:11.910 - Import failed - most likely the Import file is in the wrong format

2021-03-30 06:42:21.950 - Importing started

2021-03-30 06:42:21.951 - Importing to database from C:\Program Files\Push2Run\Confirm Computer is Running.p2r

2021-03-30 06:42:21.952 - Import failed - most likely the Import file is in the wrong format
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

What happens when you double click on the file?
zck113

Post by zck113 »

Nothing.

Cursor turns to loading circle for half second then nothing.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Interesting, if you are not already running the most current version of the program (v3.5.3) can you please upgrade to it. Also, when installing there is an option to associate .p2r files with Push2Run, can you please ensure that is checked.

Also, here is a screenshot of the window:
confirm.jpg
confirm.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
zck113

Post by zck113 »

Hey I appreciate the quick support on this, seriously.

Great program, even with the hiccups. Shit happens, and honestly most times its my fault :lol:

So I did have latest ver installed, and I did ensure that button was checked when I installed initially.

I was able to setup the card via the picture you shared, and I was able to use voice via google assistant to send a request via dropbox to p2r. It received it, and ran cast that then told me the computer was on, on my computer.

I was under the assumption this would tell my phone, if the computer was on. Am I on the wrong road here?
still unable to import cards, but I can export one? or is it the whole set?

again, problem most likely exists between seat and keyboard but I appreciate the help regardless
RobLatour
Site Admin

Post by RobLatour »

Cast will only be able to cast to online device that support chromecasting; for example a google mini, home, nesthub, etc.

Even if your phone has google assistant on it, it will likey not work.

To see what you can cast to in your network, enter the following windows command line commands:
c:
cd \
cd program files
cd cast
cast -inventory

If you want to notify yourself on your phone, you will likely need to change Push2Run to send you and e-mail or text.

Here is how someone else is using the program to send texts
viewtopic.php?t=921

if you want to send an email you will need a command line email program.

If this is not up your alley I can do some research for you and send instructions.

Your importing of cards is a separate issue, but lets deal with that after we get your notification working.