NEW: More Effects for A Viewer For Windows - Tree Structure

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to A Viewer for Windows
empojohn

NEW: More Effects for A Viewer For Windows - Tree Structure

Post by empojohn »

From John Empoliti (a.k.a. empojohn)

Rob's new tree structure for choosing effects/filters is convenient, and I've constructed some new Sharpen filters that take advantage of it.

I have attached a zip file that contains three folders: (1) Sharpen, (2) Special, and (3) Blur. As you might expect, within each folder are Effect/Filter profiles of the type suggested by the folder name. You should unzip this zip file to your desktop and then copy/paste the three folders into your AV4W Effects profile folder. When you next bring up AV4W, they should appear in the tree view on the main viewer window and the effects design window as clickable/ expandable options Blur, Sharpen, and Special. The "Blur" folder contains blurring effects, and the "Special" folder contains special effects, such as Emboss and edge detectors. LoG is an especially good edge detector - try it on an image. Sharpen contains sharpening effects.

I haven't refined the names of the profiles in the Blur and Special folders. You can rename them to suit your needs. Utilizing Rob's excellent advice, I have spent a lot of effort naming the Sharpening filters to be somewhat intuitive. I have tried to indicate the approximate size ("radius") of the Blur they try to address/sharpen. Within each approximate Blur Radius family, the "Amount" indicates how much sharpening the filter attempts to achieve. Generally speaking, the lower the Blur Radius, the weaker the effect, and within each Blur Radius family, the higher the "Amount," the stronger the filter effect for that given radius. Most of these Sharpen effects/filters derive from Gaussian Blurs; the ones with an "Alt" after their names are based on Mean/averaging with various weights.

I have not provided every "Amount" level for each radius - I started at one (1) and tended (approximately) to double and re-double. You can use the blur functions in the Blur folder and Rob's spreadsheet to construct extra sharpen profiles at finer increments for any given radius value. If you're uncomfortable doing this, please let me know, and I might be able to help - within reason.

Besides the zip file containing the Blur, Special, and Sharpen filters, I have attached a file showing the expanded tree view for one of the Sharpen filters.

- John Empoliti
Attachments
JJE Effects Folders Sharpen-Special-Blur.zip
AV4W Bharpen, Special, and Blur profiles
(100.53 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
Example of expanded tree view of Sharpen filter
Example of expanded tree view of Sharpen filter
Sharpen Effects - Tree View.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 12947 times