Effects Profiles for A Viewer For Windows

Here you are welcome to discuss items of general interest related to A Viewer for Windows
empojohn

Post by empojohn »

Attached is a .zip file containing Effects Profiles for the Windows program A Viewer For Windows (AV4W) by Rob Latour.

I have named the profiles so that they should sort into three categories in the AV4W dropdowns BL (Blurring Filters/Profiles), SE (Special Effects) Filters/Profiles, and then SH (Sharpen Filters/Profiles). Within a given Sharpening filter family (only those), I've given them names that should sort them from weak to strong. The sharpen filters include the initials USM - for Unsharpen Mask. And they are derived from a blurring filter (e.g Gaussian Blur with specified Sigma or a Mean filter) using the following relationship:

Sharpened = Original + (Original - Blurred) x Amount. "Amount" is abbreviated to Amt. in the Profile names. "Original - Blurred" is the sharp component of the Image left over after you subtract the blurry part. "Amount" specifies how much we will amplify that sharp part before adding it back to the Original, thus making it "sharper."

An example of a Sharpening Profile name is:

SH USM G1-8 Amt = 273 Blur = 5x5 Gauss - Sigma = 1

SH means Sharpening filter. USM means UnSharpen Mask. G1 and Gauss mean that a Gaussian Blur was used with Sigma = 1. The dash 8 is to identify it as the last (strongest) of the 8 profiles of that type. It is there to cause the desired sorting order. Likewise, the filter with the lowest "Amount" in this Gauss family of USM filters has a G1-1 in this location.

Here are instructions from Rob on how best to load them into your copy of AV4W:

(1) create a new folder on your desktop
(2) Unzip the zip file into the new folder on your desktop
(3) Bring up AV4W
(4) Open any image to go to the Viewer window
(5) Left click on the Viewer control to go to the Effects Design window
(6) Click on the Locate control (which will open up the folder in which the person’s current profiles are stored)
(7) Use MS File Explore to copy all the profiles from the new folder created in step 2, into the folder open in step 6
(8) exit back out of AV4W entirely
(9) Bring up AV4W

Good luck, and reach out if you have issues with these. They do what they do. Try them out. I hope they prove useful.
- John Empoliti
Attachments
AV4W_JJE_Profiles.zip
(16.24 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
empojohn

Re: Effects Profiles for A Viewer For Windows

Post by empojohn »

BEST EDGE DETECTOR?

Attached is a zip file with the LoG Edge Detector profile/filter and its negative. According to the author of the presentation where I found this, the negative is usually used. So far, it's the best one I've seen. See the Notes for each profile for a link to the presentation.
LoG Edge Detector.zip
LoG Edge Detector and its negative - the best??
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
John Empoliti