Lock my computer when I leave home

Here you are welcome to share your Push2Run cards

PLEASE NOTE:
If you are downloading a Push2Run card from here or anywhere else, please inspect it carefully before running it or any software associated with it. If you don't do this you may end up with seriously unwanted results.

When sharing a card, please leave any special instructions that are required for its use. For example, if additional software is needed to enable the card, you should leave a link to the program's official webpage.
RobLatour
Site Admin

Lock my computer when I leave home

Post by RobLatour »

The purpose of this post is to show that you can have Push2Run triggered by events other than a Google home voice command.

IFTTT offers several triggers when you set up an applet. While the focus of Push2Run is usually a Google Assistant voice activated trigger, it doesn't have to be.

More to the point, when creating an IFTTT applet instead of selecting 'Google Assistant' - 'Say a phrase with a text ingredient" for the 'IF This' portion of your applet, you can select something else.

In the example below, in IFTTT in the 'IF That' portion of the applet, I selected 'Android Device', followed by 'Disconnects from a specific WiFi network'. I then entered my default WiFi network name which my phone connects to when I am at home, and pressed the 'Create trigger' button.

ifttt.jpg
ifttt.jpg (98.87 KiB) Viewed 4017 times

(although, of course, I used my WiFi network name in place of 'mywifinetworkname')

Of note to use this particular feature, you also need to the IFTTT Android app running in the background on your Android phone.

After that, I set up the 'Then That' portion of the IFTTT applet as I would normally (using either Dropbox, Pushbullet, or Pushover) to trigger Push2Run. For a refresher on this, please see the Push2Run setup instructions here.

Next, I set up a regular Push2Run card to tell my computer to lock its screen, based on a "Listen for" of 'disconnected from mywifinetworkname'
(using again my WiFi network name in place of 'mywifinetworkname').

Here is an example card:
Phone_has_disconnected_Lock_Computer.jpg
Phone_has_disconnected_Lock_Computer.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Phone_has_disconnected_lock_computer.p2r
(569 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times

Now when I leave home (with my cell phone), my computer screen locks automatically!

IFTTT offers many 'IF This' triggers, these are listed here.

Hopefully, one or more these, and Push2Run, will be of good use to you!

Please pass on the good word about Push2Run when you can!